Saturday, August 20, 2011

Newsletter Vol. 1, Issue 9

Today's Highlights

Today greeted us with beautiful weather and dew on the grass as we set up for the farmer's market.  The produce selection today was impressive.

And since pictures speak louder than words...

What's new?
Today we were so excited to welcome Cindy and her bumper crop of pears at the co-op table.  For only $2, I took home a paper sack filled to the brim with pears!  And Cindy promises to come back next month, since her pear tree is still laden with gallons of fruit.

Interesting fact: pears do not fully ripen on the tree, so they must be picked green and allowed to ripen for a few days before achieving maximum sweetness.  Cindy told me to put my paper bag of pears in my pantry if I want them to ripen and soften nicely.  But I just had to taste one today, and even though it was still firm, it was already sweet, so I can only imagine how delicious my pears will be a few days from now!

Who's in the Spotlight?
I don't know how anyone could resist an adorable sign like this.  And by the looks of the crowd at Jane's Limeade stand today, few customers could!
Jane squeezes your limeade right there in front of you--it doesn't get any fresher than that!  And she sweetens it perfectly to your liking.  There is nothing like an ice cold limeade on a warm Globe Saturday.  And be sure to check out her homemade prickly pear jelly too!

Kids: This is Where It's At!
It's Saturday and your kids are bored?  Bring them to the farmer's market!  There is always fun to be had at the Kids' Korner.  Today there was free face-painting, thanks to Laura, and a coloring station.
 And check out Laura's lacrosse skills!
 She is one talented gal.  Can you believe she is leaving us to go to grad school?!  I'm sure she has an excellent reason for abandoning us.  Okay, okay; I suppose grad school is a good reason.

One thing is for certain: she has big shoes to fill around here.  I know I speak for all of us at the market (including the kids) when I say we will miss you Laura!

Looking Forward...
Our farmers' market continues to be successful, and we have now brought in over $16,000 in sales!  What an amazing boost for our community.  So, what treasure will you discover next at the farmer's market?  A handmade apron or beaded necklace? 


A plant to start your own garden on your patio?

Or something homemade and delicious?

You decide!  I'll see you next Saturday.

No comments: